All work and no play makes Jane a dull mum right?
But between raising a family and building a business, who has time to play? Vince Gowmon of Remembering to Play Events says that actually, we do have time to play, and in this challenging interview Vince and J9 talk about how to re-frame how you think about play and the role it has in your kids’ lives, as well as your own life as a Mum and entrepreneur.
Vince argues that when you create space for play in your life, a whole new world opens up to you, a world that’s full of fun, creativity and imagination. When we role model this for our children, the benefits for their development are immense.
It’s not always easy to make this shift though, as many of us are strongly conditioned to let go of play as we ‘grow up’ and become adults.
There’s no time to play.
Vince argues that having more play in our lives is not about finding time; rather it is a state of being that most adults are afraid of. Why?
Because being playful means allowing yourself to be vulnerable and challenges powerful, learned beliefs about how we perceive that we, as responsible adults, should behave.
To break free of this means we need to look inwards, as well as challenge the prevailing norms and rules that govern our society. No easy task for a busy parent!
In this interview Vince challenges the status quo and gives us a different perception of play. He shares how play is important to sparking innovation in business, and making this world a better a place.
And of course, Vince has plenty of tips for getting started on the journey towards more play for you and your children, including thought-provoking scenarios (and questions) that will challenge your current way of thinking and ease you into a more playful state of mind.
We guarantee that at the end of this episode, you will find yourself (as we did!) with a whole new perspective parenting and being an entrepreneur.
Are you ready? Hit play on that that audio (or video, whichever takes your fancy!)
|SUBSCRIBE for FREE >> iTunes | Stitcher Radio | RSS|
Here’s what Vince and J9 cover in the podcast interview:
- The impact of technology on children’s creativity and innocence
- The core reason why adults don’t play
- The reason why you – or your kid – may feel like you never seem to fit in
- The importance of play as a gestation period for innovation (in children AND adults!)
- How to raise strong, creative and empowered kids
- What’s going wrong with the current educational system
- Empathy and the role it plays in parenting
- How mums can find the time to “play”
- Human ‘being’ versus human ‘doing’
- Three questions that every parent should ask themselves to challenge their self-limiting beliefs and perceptions
Resources we talked about:
- How to Raise a Creative Child. Step One: Back Off
- Let the Fire Burn – Vince’s children book for adults
- Remembering to Play -Vince’s website
Top tip for a 20 hour a week (or less!) business:
If you want longevity in your business, you need to be constantly adapting and innovating new ways to solve your customers’ problems. This is where play comes into the picture. Allowing yourself to play will reignite the creativity and imagination needed to find new ways of doing things.
Join the Conversation:
Vince shared an important quote about every child being born artist. We all started out creative, imaginative and playful. The problem, he points out, is how to remain an artist when you grow up.
Enjoying the Get It Done Mum podcast?
Please leave a review in Itunes or Stitcher to help more mums find our show!
Never left a review before? Click here for quick & easy instructions >>