Are you building a membership site or thinking about a membership site as a business model?
Today’s podcast guest Heather Douglas has built her membership community to over 40, 000 members, an incredible feat! In this interview, we hear Heather’s top tips for setting up and monetising a membership site, based on 15 years plus in the online and home-based business industry.
When Heather started out, it was the days of dial-up and the technology looked very different from what we are using now, so it’s fascinating to hear how Heather and the team at Biz Buzz have grown their membership community over the years, how the community has evolved over that time, and what Heather has learnt along the way about making money and delivering exceptional value for her members.
Back in the early days, people often responded to Heathers business with ‘do you make any money‘ or ‘but what do you actually do‘ but today the membership model is very well established online. Heather decided to build a free membership site and monetise using sponsorship and advertising, and in this interview we delve into how she has done this, her top tips for getting advertisers and sponsors onboard, and what NOT to do when it comes to making money from your membership site.
We also chat about Heathers involvement in The David Awards, an NZ-based business award promoting the achievements and wonderful work of small businesses. Listen in to find out more about how Heather has built her business to what it is today, and to see whether your business could be worthy of an award!
|SUBSCRIBE for FREE >> iTunes | Stitcher Radio | RSS|
Here’s what Heather and J9 cover in the podcast interview:
- How Biz Buzz and the home-based business industry has grown and developed since Heather started out 15 years ago (in the days of dial-up!)
- Heather’s tips for building a free membership site with over 40 ooo members
- How to monetise a free membership site using advertising and sponsorship, in a way that feels right for you.
- The different types of advertisements you can offer to monetise your blog or membership sites.
- How to approach advertisers and sponsors, and talk money with them, while maintaining your integrity.
- What are advertisers and sponsors looking for.
- Is there a tipping point where your business takes off and becomes highly attractive to sponsors?
- Heathers top 3 tips for attracting members to your community.
- How to connect in a meaningful way with individuals and businesses when you have a large community.
- Tips on how to enter the David Business Awards (and why it’s worth your time). Entries are opening up again in April 2016
Resources we talked about:
Top tip for a 20 hour a week (or less!) business:
It’s crucial to work out the ONE THING that is most important to your business growth, and to focus on it. We get so distracted by what is coming into our inboxes these days and are seemingly very ‘busy’ but at the end of the day, have we actually focused on the thing that is going to bring us income. When you have that sense of focus and purpose around what is most important to be working on to generate revenue, your business will really take shape. Find what creates the revenue and do these first and do these well. Also remember to look for and focus on repeat business, passive income and good returns.
Join the conversation.
Could an online supportive community help your small business? Or perhaps your business would be a good fit for the David Awards? We’d love to hear what you thought of this interview with Heather, please post your comments below.
Enjoying the Get It Done Mum podcast?
Please leave a review in Itunes or Stitcher to help more Mums find our show! Find out how.