Episode 28 last week with Jules Brooks of Handle Your Own PR was so much fun and generated a lot of positive feedback and we have to say that this week our Aussie friends across the ditch have come up with another winner!
Today’s Australian mumpreneur Naomi Findlay has built not one, not two, but THREE highly profitable businesses out of a skill that started out as a hobby and has morphed into something much bigger.
Naomi has a PhD and was only the second person in Australia to receive a doctorate in her field, but she decided to chuck it all in at the peak of her career in medical science because it was no longer ‘filling her cup’. Enter Naomi’s passion for home-staging, which was a relatively new field and most often put in the ‘hobby’ category before Naomi entered the industry and shook things up a little (or you could say, a lot!).
With a knack for spotting an opportunity and a need, it didn’t take Naomi long to realise that home-owners were spending thousands on styling their homes for sale, but no-one was taking home-styling seriously. That’s when she took her ‘hobby’ idea and transformed it into a thriving bricks and mortar business called Silk Home Staging and Styling, helping property owners transform their homes for sale.
Since then, Naomi has pivoted her business and life direction twice and created two more businesses, this time in the online space. The International Institute of Home Staging, was another hit and is the only online course provider of home staging in Australia, while her latest venture NaomiFindlay.com, is turning out a profit after just a year in business.
With each new business Naomi is getting more and more savvy about leveraging her time so that she can juggle it all alongside raising four kids between the ages of 3 and 12, with her husband.
So how does Naomi do it? What superpowers does she have? Listen in to this interview to find out!
|SUBSCRIBE for FREE >> iTunes | Stitcher Radio | RSS|
Here’s what Naomi and J9 cover in the podcast interview:
- Naomi’s journey so far, including how she came up with her business ideas and blazed a trail online!
- What it takes to create and scale 3 businesses while raising a family of 4 children
- Naomi’s advice for taking your design business online so that you can stop trading dollars for hours
- How to marry your hobby with entrepreneurship
- The ups and downs of being a trailblazer in your field/niche
- How to open yourself up to receiving ideas for your business (your kids will help you with this!)
- Tips for styling more productive and calming workspaces at home – Naomi even gives J9 an on-the-spot assessment of her interview space and shares her ideas for how to improve the feel of her interview ‘room’.
Resources we talked about:
- Institute of Home Staging
- Silk Home
- Naomi’s web site
- Asana – Naomi’s favourite project management tool (also used by the Get It Done Mum team).
- Space Medicine Free Video Series – Naomi’s tips for creating a work-at-home space that nurtures your mind, body and soul, thereby also increasing your productivity and efficiency!
Top tip for a 20 hour a week (or less!) business:
Naomi was able to scale her bricks and mortar business AND create two more business with the help of her team, who are based in the office alongside her as well as virtually (a team of onshore and offshore virtual assistants). Naomi is disciplined and puts very clear boundaries in place around her time. Her most essential project management tool is Asana and Naomi spends 90% of her time in there keeping on top of things.
Join the Conversation:
Naomi has a ritual of creating a calming workspace for herself each day before she starts work. Is this something that you do (or don’t) as well? What do you think is the effect of tidying up on your productivity. Please share in the comments below and if you’ve got a photo of your desk or workspace, you can leave a link to that as well so we can check it out.
Enjoying the Get It Done Mum podcast?
Please leave a review in Itunes or Stitcher to help more mums find our show!
Never left a review before? Click here for quick & easy instructions >>